Sharing Prevention Innovations in Cardio-Vascular Disease
Friday, February 2, 2018 • Hampton Inn & Suites at the University of Missouri, Columbia
Heart Disease and Stroke account for about 30% of all deaths in Missouri and pose a considerable challenge to the health of all Missourians. To provide state-level support to the vision of the national Million Hearts® initiative, a voluntary network of key stakeholders established the Missouri Million Hearts (MO MH) Partnership in 2012. The MO MH partnership is committed to addressing the needs of underserved and high-risk communities burdened by the adverse effects of cardiovascular disease in Missouri. The Second Annual Missouri Million Hearts Conference is a showcase of innovative efforts that align with the mission of the MO MH partnership. The intended audience for the conference includes physicians, nurses, pharmacists, public health officials, health educators, community health workers, community organizations and the general public who are interested in preventing cardiovascular disease and learning about innovative evidence-based strategies designed to ameliorate the burden of heart disease and stroke in their community. Presenters from diverse stakeholder groups will focus on the role of the Healthcare and Public health systems, the community, and the patient in addressing cardiovascular disease and the associated risk factors.
- Recognize ongoing national and local initiatives in the field of cardiovascular prevention and management.
- Describe the mission and goals of the national Million Hearts Initiative and the Missouri Million Hearts Partnership.
- Illustrate opportunities to collaborate with various stakeholders to reduce the burden of heart disease and stroke in their communities.
- Examine and interpret up-to-date guidelines and evidence base for the diagnosis and management of cardiovascular risk factors.
- Identify opportunities to support the Missouri Million Hearts Partnership.
- Discuss the role of various stakeholders involved in addressing the burden of heart disease and stroke.
Missouri Million Hearts Partner Agencies
- American Heart Association
- Dent County
- Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
- Missouri Nurses Association
- Missouri Pharmacist Care Network
- Missouri Primary Care Association
- Missouri State Medical Association
- Ozarks Technical College
- Pfizer Inc.
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
Center for Continuing Medical Education & Physician Lifelong Learning
MU Sinclair School of Nursing
Kris Kummerfeld, Missouri Million Hearts Coordinator, Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Planning Committee – listed alphabetically
- Daphne Bascom, MD, PhD, Senior Vice President for Community Integrated Health, YMCA of Greater Kansas City
- Cynthia Brown, Administrative Assistant, Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
- Kathy Davenport, RN, ASN, CPHRM, PLNC, Quality Improvement and Risk Management Program Coordinator, Missouri Primary Care Association
- Machelle Dykstra, CPHQ, PCMH-CCE, Quality Improvement Program Manager, Missouri Primary Care Association
- Shirley Farrah, PhD, RN-BC, Assistant Dean for Outreach, Sinclair School of Nursing, University of Missouri
- Stephen Foutes, Director of Marketing, Missouri State Medical Association
- Liliana Garcia Vargas, MD, Assistant Clinical Professor, Medicine-Endocrinology, University of Missouri School of Medicine
- Jennifer Hunter, Program Coordinator, Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
- Mary Ann Kimbel, RN, BAM, Quality Improvement Specialist, Primaris
- Robin Kiser, RN, BS, Director, Quality and Systems Improvement, American Heart Association
- Cameron Lindsey, PharmD, BC-ADM, CDE, BCACP, Professor, Director of Co-Curriculum, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Samar Muzaffar, MD, MPH, Medical Director, MO HealthNet
- Thom Pancella, Associate Director, Center for Continuing Medical Education & Physician Lifelong Learning, University of Missouri School
- Michelle Shikles, MPH, CHES, Public Health Promotion Supervisor, Columbia/Boone County Department of Health & Human Services
- Eduardo Simoes, MD, MSc, MPH, Chair of Health Management and Informatics, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Tru-Kechia Smith, Regional Director, Multicultural Initiatives, American Heart Association
- Lakshmi Venkitachalam, PhD, FAHA, Research Assistant Professor (Epidemiology & Outcomes Research), Biomedical & Health Informatics, University of Missouri-Kansas City – Patient Engagement Implementation Team Lead, MO Million Hearts
- Beverly Wilcox, Executive Director, Boone County Medical Society